Kingshuk K. Roy concentrates his practice in construction litigation, transportation and employer liability. Over the course of his legal career, King has successfully taken numerous cases to verdict throughout Illinois and is often asked by clients to take over the defense of high exposure cases late in the game, including at the time of trial.
- Won a defense verdict for a construction company after a four-week jury trial in Cook County. The plaintiff, a union ironworker, asked for $16.5 million for various injuries, including Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, ACL/MCL/PCL ruptures, and Adjustment Disorder. The plaintiff put over $4.6 million “on the board” in special damages.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a transportation company in a triple-fatality jury trial in Cook County, Illinois. The plaintiffs demanded $25 million in damages.
- Assumed the defense just prior to trial and secured a verdict in which the jury awarded the exact amount requested by the defendant during closing argument. The award was less than half of the last offer.
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
King has presented on a variety of topics in civil litigation including the following presentations:
- Case Studies in Product Liability Trials
- Outlier Verdicts?: Cook County Jury Awards by the Numbers
- Construction Contracts in Illinois
- Solving The Third-Party Practice Puzzle
- Principles of Illinois Construction Negligence Law
King has also written articles for the IDC Quarterly and the ISBA, including:
- The New Math: Calculating Fault & Liability
- A Procedural Look at the Exclusive Remedy Defense
- Defining the Retained Control Exception: An Update on Section 414
- Analyzing Amendments Under the Relation Back Doctrine
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
King is AV-Rated® by Martindale-Hubbell peer-review ratings, the highest recognition of excellence in legal practice and ethics. He was selected as an Illinois Super Lawyer in 2020 and a Rising Star in 2011 and 2012. King also was named Champaign County's Pro Bono Attorney of the Year for his successful trial work.
- J.D, University of Illinois College of Law, 2003
- B.S., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2000
- Illinois, 2003
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Civil Practice Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association