R.J. VanSwol practices in areas including insurance coverage, insurance litigation defense, appellate practice, and professional liability. Besides the insurance companies he has advised and represented in coverage matters and subrogation cases, representative clients include municipalities, construction contractors, and law firms.
R.J. received his J.D. cum laude from Northwestern University Law School, where he served on The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology and worked as a teaching assistant in the school’s legal writing program. He also holds a master’s degree in English and bachelor’s degrees summa cum laude in English and rhetoric from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- J.D., cum laude, Northwestern University Law School, 2008
- M.A. English, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2005
- B.A. English and B.A. rhetoric, summa cum laude, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003
- 2014 Lincoln Award Legal Writing Contest, Second Place
- Super Lawyers Rising Star in Insurance Coverage, 2011
- Illinois Supreme Court, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2009
- Northern District of Indiana, 2010
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, 2011
- Eastern District of Wisconsin 2011
- Southern District of Illinois, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2014
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association