Thomas B. Underwood focuses his practice on insurance coverage, professional liability and complex litigation matters. During his career, Tom has tried more than 25 major lawsuits throughout the United States.
Tom’s insurance coverage work includes interpretation and litigation concerning commercial general liability policies, professional liability policies, automobile policies, employment and excess policies. He also defends bad faith claims and advises excess insurance carriers in catastrophic injury matters on issues of priority of coverage, subrogation, tender, case value, and resolution strategy.
His professional liability work involves the defense of attorneys, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, architects, engineers, real estate brokers, and other professionals.
Tom’s complex litigation work includes the defense of construction defect claims, employment and civil rights claims and consumer class actions.
In federal district court and 7th circuit obtained over $6 million in judgments for reimbursement of settlement paid by excess insurer in complex insurance coverage dispute arising from construction accident involving issues of equitable subrogation,targeted tender, and professional liability exclusion.
Obtained summary judgment in favor of a general contractor’s excess insurer and against a subcontractor’s insurer in a declaratory action concerning proper allocation of an underlying construction injury settlement.
Obtained dismissal and successfully affirmed dismissal on appeal for an attorney, in a suit alleging that he had caused an insurer’s bad-faith failure to settle.
With a multi-million dollar underlying case, obtained declaratory judgment for the general liability insurer that the general liability policy’s “auto” exclusion applied to the insured’s specialized trailer and there was no coverage for the accident under GL policy.
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
Tom has presented numerous in-house seminars for insurance carriers and has lectured at the PLRB/LIRB Claims Conferences.
- University of Illinois College of Law
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- AV-Rated® by Martindale-Hubbell
- A.M. Best Directory of Insurance Attorneys – Client Recommended, over 10 years
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals